The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Monday, June 6, 2011

What Do You Do?

Never give up; you never know until you try.

What do you do when you’ve done all you know to do, yet a situation remains the same? It absolutely refuses to budge. Like a car mired in mud, you can’t go backward, and you can’t go forward. You spin your wheels, burning rubber, gas, and your patience.

As anyone who has read my blog knows, that’s been me in my job search post-graduation. I’ve had a couple part-time temporary jobs, but I’m still searching for the full-time permanent one, even if it isn’t my dream job. I just need to pay my bills.

As I’ve noted before, this has been an excruciating process for me, and I’ve handled it with varying degrees of poise. God has met my needs and kept me going, though not in ways I’d hoped. Again, as I’ve noted before, I’ve often told Him just how I feel, and He hasn’t zapped me yet for having the nerve to tell Him how I want Him to do His job. God is great like that. (Insert huge sigh of relief here.)

So I come to the answer portion of this post. What do you do when you’ve done all you know to do, yet a situation remains the same? Maybe what I’ve done:

1 If one area refuses to change, work on changing something else you are unhappy with.
2 Embrace the changes being wrought in you—at least the good ones.
3 Cast it on God, because He cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment