The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Payoff

Never give up; you never know until you try.

I met a young woman a few months ago and took a few minutes to learn about her life. She looked "down," so I shared a few words of encouragement. My time investment was just a few minutes, and each time I've seen her since, I've dedicated a few minutes to asking how she is and encouraging her. She always seems to have only a few minutes to talk, but we pass those minutes pleasantly. Despite her circumstances, she's "open" and interested in others, always asking how I am.

We crossed paths again today, and she broke into a big grin when she saw me. We passed a little time together, catching up on our respective job searches, and she was off again on another errand. She caught me off guard by hugging me, but it was a pleasant surprise. I was glad she felt comfortable doing so; she's learned that I really care what happens to her. I hit the jackpot.

I'm sure you're ahead of me and have surmised the moral of today's story: kindness extended to others pays off. Even if someone never lets you know by hugging you or verbally expressing it, she appreciates being treated kindly, respectfully. I certainly do. Kindness pays off, making others' day brighter, and it even makes yours brighter, too.

1 comment:

  1. That is what life is all about - making it a little better for those around us!

    ReplyDelete