The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Watch Your Mouth!

Never give up; you never know until you try.

Yesterday I saw a plaque with an interesting saying on it: "A closed mouth gathers no feet."  At first, I pondered how keeping your mouth shut can indeed keep you out of trouble.  Then I went deeper and thought of all the times I have kept silent when I should've opened my mouth (widely) and shouted (loudly and repeatedly), but I didn't. 

Both remaining silent when you shouldn't and talking when you shouldn't can result in lasting regret.  The key is discerning the "best" response to a situation.  As "The Gambler," the song made popular by Kenny Rogers says, we should ". . . know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run." (Don Schlitz, Jr, songwriter) 

1 comment:

  1. So true! There are times when we need to speak out for what is right.

    ReplyDelete