The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Learning

Never give up; you never know until you try.

Michelangelo is quoted as saying, "I am still learning." (http://www.brainyquote.com/)

I've recently had several students for whom learning comes slowly, after careful thought.  Progress comes after a hard labor and birth process.  As I've gone over material that I've covered before with a student, carefully repackaging it to find an approach that works, I've thought several times how blessed I am that, for the most part, I've always learned skills quickly and easily, tested well, and retained information for later access.  Academic skills, that is.  Sometimes, spiritual lessons have come less easily. 

Any of my regular readers will note that I've often said something along the lines of "I got a reminder . . ."  That's because I've had lessons that I didn't seem to grasp the first, second, or third times I was exposed to them.  God has patiently repeated certain lessons until I finally internalized the message.  My progress in certain spiritual lessons came after a hard labor and birth process.  I'm glad that God has never given up on me.  He knows that I'm still learning, as are we all.

No comments:

Post a Comment