The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Analyzing, Reflecting, and Correcting: New and Improved!

Never give up; you never know until you try.

As my readers have probably realized, I’m analytical and self-reflective. Heck, I’m analytical and reflective about just about everything, like a child asking why the sky is blue. Admittedly, that can be crazy-making, but it can also be very useful, even life-saving in a way.

Life-saving may be a slight exaggeration, but a recent round of analysis and reflection yielded the unavoidable conclusion that I need to change my approach to a current (important) project. Correct my course, as it were. I’m just glad that I haven’t dug myself into a hole I can’t climb out of—or, to continue my nautical metaphor, I’m glad I haven’t run aground.

One of my colleagues always stresses to her clients the importance of taking the time to do the groundwork the right way so you can avoid some major problems later. I believe that’s true in business endeavors and personal ones, so I try to follow her advice.

Of course, you can’t plan for everything, but careful planning, including making necessary changes to the plan, can help you avoid some unpleasantries.

So, dear readers, I urge you to do what I’ve done: make a course correction if you need to. After all, we flock to the stores to buy the latest “new and improved” version of our favorite products. Why not call your course correction your “new and improved” approach?

No comments:

Post a Comment