The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How Many People?

Never give up; you never know until you try.

A fellow GED instructor said to me yesterday, “they (the students) have no idea how much we want them to succeed.” “They have no clue,” I agreed, my eyes misting as I thought of one young woman in particular.

Coming home from work, I started thinking about that exchange and wondering if that isn’t true of all of us. Do we really know how many people are “rooting” for us, and just how much they care? I doubt it.

Why? Because we’re all guilty of not expressing our concern, telling people how much they mean to us and how much we want the best for them. We’re all “too busy” and/or just don’t think about it. We figure they know, but they don’t always know. Maybe we don’t want to embarrass them. There are countless reasons why we don’t tell people that we’re “in their corner.”

So today I ask you to think about how many people there are who want the best for you, and how many people would love to hear from you that you want the best for them.  Then brighten someone's day by telling her how much you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment