The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

1-2-3; All Eyes On Me

Never give up; you never know until you try.

How do you direct someone’s attention back to you when it has gone somewhere else? I had that question answered tonight at a business seminar. The instructor refocused everyone after a break by saying, “1-2-3, all eyes on me!” Comic, semi-juvenile soul that I am, I broke into a big grin and said, “I love that!” The teacher promptly shared that her child’s teacher had used that little rhyme to refocus her elementary-age students when they became talkative in class. I’m not going to comment as to what it says about me that I found the rhyme so endearing, but it made me think.


I couldn’t help but wonder how many people go through life needing attention yet not getting it. Or getting too little. The person who is struggling with illness or substance abuse. Or poverty. The person who is being abused. Then I concluded that God must surely feel that way with us—most assuredly with me, anyway.

I find it so easy to focus my attention on my problems, on my current projects, on my future plans. It’s too easy to get wrapped up in myself.

Thankfully, God understands the tendency we all have to get wrapped up in ourselves and gently nudges us to be more involved in helping others with their problems. He also nudges us to be more involved with Him. I’m glad when people listen to those nudges, because there have been times when a hug or a kind word from someone made my day. I may not have had all eyes on me, but because someone listened to the Someone who always has His eyes on me, I got the strength to press on.

Thank you to all the dear people who have been there for someone when he or she needed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment