The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

How Far You've Come

Never give up; you never know until you try.

I read the same message twice today, from 2 different sources, so I'm passing it on to you. It may not resonate with you as it has with me, but I hope you'll think about it, because it may help you cut yourself some slack, especially if you're a perfectionist or if you're working on a big--or time-consuming project.

Drum roll, please. To boil it down, the message is:

Try to avoid looking at how much you still have to do and the distance you still have to travel. Look instead at how much you have done and how far you've come, and concentrate on the grace that has gotten you this far. Rest in that grace and remember that God will help you get the rest of the way.

To that bit of advice, I add my own advice to avoid looking at how long it has taken you to do what you have done and get as far as you have. The next leg of the journey may not be as long. Or, and I'm sorry to rain on your parade here, it may take longer. The whole point is to not worry about how far or how long to go but instead to celebrate the ground won so far. Admittedly, that's easier said than done, but life isn't easy. It can be painful and it can be messy; but with God in your corner, it will be okay.

1 comment: