The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blowing Off Steam

Never give up; you never know until you try.

I had a regrettable encounter with someone recently. Suffice it to say that when I crossed paths with this woman, she was in a bad mood and obviously itching for a fight. I, unfortunately, allowed her to bait me into a less-than-cordial verbal exchange in which I gratingly observed that she was obviously in a bad mood. I must've struck a nerve, because she grew even more hostile and retorted that I was the one in a bad mood. Keep in mind that I had been minding my own business, feeling just fine, thank you, when she rudely insinuated herself into my existence with an unwarranted attack, and you'll see why I flared. When she accused me of being the one in a bad mood, I heatedly replied, "I wasn't until I met you!" I excused myself to get away from her before I really lost my cool, but I didn't get away from her.

She stayed with me a while after our exchange. Or rather Satan stayed with me, accusing me a good while after the exchange. Granted, I wish I hadn't returned the woman's venom, but afterward I asked for forgiveness for my fit of temper. That should've been the end of it, but Satan loves to accuse us long after a regrettable episode has been forgotten by other parties.

I finally moved past the episode, reminding myself, and Satan, that it's sometimes easier said than done to "turn the other cheek." We're human; we react to unpleasantness, especially when it involves unjustified attacks on us.

For all I know, that young woman had endured just such an attack by someone else earlier in the day. I hope venting on me kept her from venting on the wrong person--someone who may have responded by physically assaulting her. I just wish I had reacted to her tirade with empathy, looked behind the venom, and asked if she was okay. Maybe then she would've felt cared for and unburdened herself in a positive way. The exchange would've turned into a blessing for us both. Then again, maybe she would've reacted the same way. I'll never know. What I do know is that I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father Who forgives and Who allows me to blow off steam to Him any time I feel the need and won't accuse me when I "blow it."

No comments:

Post a Comment