The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Comfort Those Who Mourn

Never give up; you never know until you try.

I recently found myself in the middle of one of those "interruptions" that upon reflection seems to have been a "divine appointment."  Suffice it to say that I wasn't even "supposed" to be where I was, when I was, but that "circumstances" had me in a place where I encountered a young woman grieving a recent loss. 

I was minding my business, mentally running through my "to do" list when I passed her in a store.  Being one of those people who likes to speak to complete strangers and share a smile and a moment of sunshine, I complimented her outfit and said I hoped she was having a great day.  She candidly noted that she wasn't and wilted before my eyes.  I hugged her until she calmed, assuring her that she would be okay, even if circumstances might suck for a while.  She thanked me for listening and apologized for crying; I said, "Any time," and we parted.

As I left, I thanked God for the opportunity to share a tiny glimmer of love with someone in despair.  I was glad I could offer a little comfort, and I've continued to offer prayers for her and her family as they learn to live without the precious soul they lost.

Lest you think I'm some super-spiritual, always-in-tune-with-God marvel, I'll tell you right now: don't.  I noticed that dear lady, but I wonder how many others there have been in need whom I haven't seen.  I'm sure there have been many, because I know there have been many people who have either failed to see my pain or failed to make themselves available to help in even a small way.  I know it's a cliché, but I've felt alone in a crowded room. 

Sometimes we don't know what to say to someone who's hurting and don't want to say the wrong thing.  Sometimes we're too busy to take the time.  The people who take time to reach out really don't know how much good they can be doing, simply by listening, offering a hug, and sharing a few words of encouragement.  I can think of several people God has used to brighten my blacker-than-black day over the years, and I want to be one He uses to brighten others' day.  Especially those in mourning.       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment