The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Teamwork

Never give up; you never know until you try.

The old saying goes that no man is an island. I always knew that to be true, but during the last couple years, I've had it emphasized more times than I can begin to count. My job search was certainly a team effort, and my job as a GED instructor is most definitely a team effort.


Of course, I certainly mean that my teaching partners, our colleagues at other sites, and our administrative staff on campus are part of the team. I also mean that the students we serve are teammates, too. We're in it together.

As I noted in my post "Affirmations," we all need encouragement to succeed in life. It's just how we're made; some need more encouragement than others and some seem to need less, but we all need it.

Sharing new information, reviewing information already encountered, providing a listening ear and/or a few words of encouragement, instructing, grading, studying and completing assigned work--it's all teamwork. Just as in Scripture--someone plants the seed, God sends rain, someone waters manually, and then eventually there's a harvest.

I'm glad to be a part of some of the teams I'm involved with, and I try to be a good teammate. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment