The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Nip It In the Bud

Never give up; you never know until you try.

You notice a slight weight gain. Nip it in the bud. Weeds pop up in your garden. Nip them in the bud. You and your mate (parent, child, family member, coworker, friend, neighbor) experience a conflict . . . you get the idea. It's easier to halt something early on than to stop it once it has gained momentum. That's true of positive things and of negative things.

I've written before about "good things" versus "God things," and I still hold to the opinion that just because something is good doesn't mean I should be engaged in it. Even if it's a "good thing," if it isn't a "God thing," meaning I know God wants me to participate, then I shouldn't be involved. It may be hard, but I need to nip it in the bud. Of course, it goes without saying that a bad thing should be promptly stopped. Fat cells only get bigger if I don't actively work to shrink them. Weeds take over the garden if not treated with herbicide and/or physical removal. Relationships deteriorate if I don't address issues head-on.

So, what do you need to nip in the bud? I urge you to do it now, before the job gets even harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment