The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Sunday, April 3, 2011

She Speaks conference

Never give up; you never know until you try.

The annual Proverbs 31 Ministries "She Speaks" conference is coming up. I've attended Proverbs 31 Ministries conferences in the past and been blessed by the experience in more ways than I can count. Check it out if you're interested in writing, or if you just like to read inspirational writing. The Proverbs 31 ministry has been extremely helpful to me.

They're holding a contest, and the winner can attend the conference free of charge. Naturally, I'd love to go. My entry for the contest, which calls for a 6-word story, along the lines of Hemingway's "For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn." After mulling that over for 3 days, I came up with the following prayer to God: "You're God. I'm not. I surrender." I'll let you know if my entry is chosen. The link to the conference is http://shespeaksconference.com.
(I tried 3 times to use the Blogger link tool to post the actual link, but it never worked. So sorry.)

The prayer I cite above is a prayer many people probably have to pray daily as they crucify the flesh that wants to have its way. I know I certainly have to pray a version of it every day.

Whether it's the Serenity Prayer, the one I just noted, or another, my advice for the day is to keep on praying. I've seen and heard the acrostic "PUSH" several times, and I've taken it to heart. It stands for Pray Until Something Happens. Sometimes that means the problem remains, but you have peace as you move through it.

As I’ve navigated my employment situation since graduation, I’ve prayed many times for the problem to go away, and I’ve also prayed, “Lord, just give me peace.” Jesus said He was giving us His peace, and that promise has kept me going when I was near the end of my rope.

So, dear readers, check out Proverbs 31 Ministries. It’s a valuable resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment