The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Monday, April 25, 2011

Resurrection Power

Never give up; you never know until you try.

The last few days, I’ve thought a lot about various lessons I’ve heard or read on the resurrection of Jesus. The gist of them is that while we may experience the death of our earthly bodies, because Jesus conquered death, we who trust Him as Savior will receive new bodies and live forever with Him in Heaven, completely forgiven of any and all sins. All pain will be gone. A life of love and peace will be ours forever. I’m looking forward to that.

For now, though, I’m stuck here on earth, where pain is everywhere. Very little makes sense. Every day I see right being called wrong and wrong being called right. Romans 8:22 says that all creation groans. I believe it.

Our salvation is based on Jesus’ bodily resurrection from the dead after paying the penalty for our sins, but I’ve heard various ministers talk about a different form of resurrection than the resurrection of the body. I think that’s an important area to cover, too. What they mean is that Christ can resurrect our hopes and dreams when they seem to have died. He can give us new hopes and dreams that are eons better than the old ones. And He can make those dreams, old, new, or in-between, come to pass.

He can also resurrect a good attitude in us (and forgive us) when we get pouty that things aren’t going our way. I’m really glad of that, because all of us have needed an attitude adjustment at one time or another. And Jesus has the power to do it if we let Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment