The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Monday, February 14, 2011

Love

You Never Know Until You Try.

Today being Valentine’s Day, I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about love. I don’t have a “significant other,” but I’ve got people who love me: my parents and friends, and my little kitty person, Raven. The most important, though, is God. He loves us all, as evidenced by His gift of His Son, Jesus. (John 3:16).

God loves us even when we’re not very lovable, and though they may not like us at times, friends and family also love us when we’re less than lovable. I have to admit that I certainly have days wherein I don’t like my own behavior. Like Paul, I sometimes do what I hate and don’t do what I know I should.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi since the first of February, so I thought I’d quote it here to give my readers something to ponder. This version is from http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pray0027.htm

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace:
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
“O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand;
to be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

It’s not all about me; it’s about God and what He would have me do to help others through this life. Focusing on how I can help make others’ lives better is one way I can show love for them—and for God.

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment