The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sift Through The Fluff

You Never Know Until You Try.

I had the kind of day anyone looking for a job sometimes encounters: I got frustrated, irritated, aggravated, agitated, alienated--you get the picture.

I really didn't feel like going to my computer class this afternoon, but I went anyway. FYI: Goodwill Industries has free computer classes available. I'm taking the one on MS Office 2007, and it has been fabulous. I came home feeling better because having the class added something positive to my day.

I called my best friend to let her know I followed up on a tip she gave me. Unfortunately, it was the bust she and I both thought it would be (a long story best left untold). I thanked her and we had a good laugh about several of the absurdities I've encountered this week. Before we hung up, she said something that really struck me for some reason. She said you've got to "sift through the fluff" to find the substance. You could also say "mine for the gold" or some other such phrase, but it all means the same thing: even if it means looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack, keep searching until you find what you're looking for.

That's what anyone looking for anything has to do. Whether it's a job, a vehicle, a house, or someone to share it all with, just keep looking until you find it.

That's what I'm doing now, even if I do get frustrated, irritated, aggravated, agitated, alienated, or any other "ated." One day my faith in a positive outcome will be vindicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment