The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Senility Prayer?

Never give up; you never know until you try.

I recently ran across "The Senility Prayer," which I think I'd never heard of before.  http://www.thisfunsforyou.com/htdocs/funpages/senility.php

I think it was meant to be taken as humorous, but you know me; just as I can usually find the "funny" in things, I can also usually find the "serious" as well.  The prayer asks God that you be able to forget people you never liked.  While there are definitely some people I would like to forget, I have to admit that I've learned something from at least some of them.  I've learned how I want to behave--or not behave.  I've learned compassion.  I've learned a little about how God must feel when I conduct myself in a less-than-Christ-like manner.

How about you?  What have you learned from people you'd like to forget?

No comments:

Post a Comment