The Serenity Prayer

This prayer, often repeated, is an originally untitled prayer by theologian Reinhold Niebuhr. It makes great sense to me, and whether you believe in God or not, I think it's a smart idea.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And the wisdom to know the difference















Followers

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Let Your Words Edify Others (Pt 3) . . . Or Unhelpful "Help"

You Never Know Until You Try.

Until recently, I hadn’t posted anything in ages, but as I noted in part 1 of “Let Your Words Edify Others,” I’ve had a good reason: I’ve been looking for a job since I graduated in December, 2009 and dealing with all the emotional ramifications that entails. I’ve been blessed with lots of people who care about me and with lots of networking opportunities, so I’ve gotten some advice along the way as I’ve navigated the waters post-graduation. Like advice of all kinds and about all subjects, some has been helpful, and some hasn’t. Some has come from well-meaning people who have no clue what being unemployed in this job market is like. Or no clue about anything other than that they’ve heard I’m looking for a job.

Some people have the mindset that “need a job” means any job, anywhere, doing anything, for any pay, even if it means depleting resources one might already have. I don’t happen to fall into that category. Drive 50 miles each way in a nearly 20-year-old gas-guzzler for $8 an hour? I don’t think so! Not when I’m a single adult with no one else to support me and no way to replace said gas-guzzler if it dies! I know no job is perfect—nothing in this fallen world is, but I firmly think a person, if he or she can afford it and after careful prayer feels God's "permission", should pass on taking just any old job if she (or he) knows it:

1. Won’t build her resume in the right direction, but sends it in the wrong direction, pigeon-holing her into the “wrong” line of work. Especially true of recent “adult” college grads like me. I think if someone had been in a fulfilling, adequately lucrative job in the first place, she wouldn’t have gone back to school. (Unless of course her industry, like textiles or tobacco, to use a North Carolina example, is a dying one or jobs are getting sent overseas. There are always exceptions.)

2. Won’t pay her bills or may even deplete her resources. (See paragraph 2).

3. Is doing something she hates so much that the mere thought of doing it saps all strength and/or hope from her mind, body, or spirit, making looking for something better a near-impossibility and avoiding being fired from the hated job a struggle of superhuman proportions.

4. Is doing something she knows she’s incapable of doing physically, even with “reasonable accommodations.” (Similar to #3).

5. Involves a schedule that won’t leave time to look or interview for a better-fitting job.

My lessons during this episode, reminders of things previously learned, have been several:

1. Keep praying and expecting the best outcome, despite how things look.

2. Keep looking—don’t give up!

3. Though I’ve had to remind myself that though some “helpers’” heads seem to be somewhere out in space—Mars, Pluto, etcetera, their hearts are in the right place. If someone offers advice, it means she cares about me enough to try to help in some way. Give her an “A” for effort.

4. I can explain what I’m looking for and my qualifications so people have enough information to make informed judgments about whether to pass a job prospect on to me.

5. If you are a square peg and try to fit yourself into a round hole, it won’t be a good fit. You can do it for a short while, but your edges, and the round hole’s, will get dinged.

6. As I note above, someone offers advice because she cares enough about me to try to help, but it’s not her responsibility to help me find a job (or a house, car, husband, dog, new dress, birthday present for Mom—you get the picture). We just owe each other Christian love.

7. Because I want my words to edify, or encourage, others, I need to think and pray before I offer someone advice or “help.” Otherwise, I may be most UNhelpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment